Saturday, September 10, 2011

Southwest Barbeque Chicken Salad

Finally my (Jordan) schedule is calming down and I have time to get back on this blog and add some new delicious recipes!  I just moved away from my mom, Julie, to start up my sophomore year of college and my schedule is finally slowing down.  (Even though we are apart, this blog will still go on!  I will just do the posting from now on!) We just wanted to apologize for the long break of not posting though, we promise to keep up and post our latest creations on a regular basis now!
So now, back to the food!
This delicious bbq chicken salad is such a great meal because not only is it easy and healthy, it is so cheap! Being on my own at college now, I am starting to learn that money does not grow on trees and I must be frugal in order to survive- yeah, I know took a little long to figure out... but better late than never, right?  :)  With a few simple ingredients, this salad can be whipped up in no time for any meal of the day.  It is light and healthy too, which makes it even better.  This salad is the best college meal.  Quick, cheap, and won't make me look bad in that cute dress I am wearing tonight :) Enjoy!!
Ingredients:
1 chicken breast, grilled and chopped
Fresh ground pepper
Garlic salt
Lettuce (you can use prepackaged greens- just choose your favorite!)
Tomato, diced 
1 can sodium-free Black beans, rinsed and drained
1 package frozen corn kernels, thawed
Low-fat tortilla chips, broken into small pieces
Shredded low fat cheddar cheese
BBQ sauce, (we use Sweet Baby Rays)
Cilantro, optional

Directions:
Season chicken breast with pepper and garlic salt on both sides.  In a hot grill pan, grill chicken until cooked through.  Rinse lettuce and put in bowl.  Add tomatoes, beans, corn, tortilla chips, and cheese to the lettuce.  Once chicken is cooked through, chop into bite-sized pieces.  Add to salad.  Pour desired amount of barbeque sauce onto salad.  Top with cilantro if desired!  Toss and enjoy!! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment